Unlinking footnotes/endnotes from text
Trevor
2008-04-03 13:19:03 UTC
Can this be done with a macro?

Can this be done at all without third-party software?
Jean-Guy Marcil
2008-04-03 14:02:01 UTC
Post by Trevor
Can this be done with a macro?
Can this be done at all without third-party software?
Could you be less cryptic and provide more details?
Why would you want to do this?

If you unlink a footnote, it disappears.
You mean you would like a footnote to stay at the bottom of the page, in the
footnote section, but be able to delete the corresponding footnote indicator
in the text above??

The easiest would be to set the footnote indicator font to hidden. You can
also set the style "Footnote Reference" to hidden. So all numbers in the
whole document (both in the text and those at the bottom, next to each
footnote) will not be printed or visible unless hidden text is dislpayed or
printed on purpose.
Trevor
2008-04-04 13:09:29 UTC
Suppose you have to edit in Word the manuscript of a book which contains footnotes or endnotes. In Word, when you click on the note
indicator, it takes you to the relevant note, and vice versa. I want to leave the note indicators in place, and leave the notes in
place, but remove the hyperlinking between them.

The reason is that publishers prefer to receive text that is not linked in this way. (I think it messes up their typesetting
programs.)

To do this, I have to copy the notes into a separate document, replace all the note indicators in the original with normal
superscript (which, as you rightly say, deletes the notes), copy the notes back into the original and then number them manually.
(Publishers don't like Word's list format, either.)
printed on purpose.
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
2008-04-03 19:47:46 UTC
The following will replace endnotes with ordinary text at the end of the
document, retaining the endnote reference number in the text, but it can not
longer be clicked to go to the text note.

You could modify it to replace footnotes with ordinary text at the end of
the document, but getting them at the foot of the page on which they now
appear would be very difficult to do strictly with code.

' Macro created 29/09/99 by Doug Robbins to replace endnotes with textnotes
at end of document

' to replace the endnote reference in the body of the document with a
superscript number.

'

Dim aendnote As Endnote

For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes

ActiveDocument.Range.InsertAfter vbCr & aendnote.Index & vbTab &
aendnote.Range

aendnote.Reference.InsertBefore "a" & aendnote.Index & "a"

Next aendnote

For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes

aendnote.Reference.Delete

Next aendnote

Selection.Find.ClearFormatting

Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting

With Selection.Find.Replacement.Font

.Superscript = True

End With

With Selection.Find

.Text = "(a)([0-9]{1,})(a)"

.Replacement.Text = "\2"

.Forward = True

.Wrap = wdFindContinue

.Format = True

.MatchWildcards = True

End With

Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
Jean-Guy Marcil
2008-04-04 12:03:00 UTC
Just curious... why would someone need to do that?
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
2008-04-04 22:09:07 UTC
Bonjour Jean-Guy,

I understand that it is a requirement for some (book) printing processes.

I haven't kept count of the number of times I have posted that macro, but it
has been quite a few.

Trevor
2008-04-04 12:53:32 UTC
Thank you, Doug

That works exactly as you said it would. A slight problem for me is that the documents I work on (I'm a copy-editor) have the notes
numbered by chapter (section break), and your macro converts them to a single continuous sequence, so I'd still need to renumber
everything after the first section manually. (Or I suppose I could divide it up, run the macro on each section and then recombine
it.)

Regarding footnote/endnote placement, the most common scenario is that I'm asked to move all footnotes to the end of the document,
so I can convert them from footnotes to endnotes in Word first, and then run your macro (since I wouldn't have a clue how to modify
it).

Occasionally, though, I need to leave the footnotes where they are, but still unlink them. I don't suppose you've written a macro
for that too, have you? :-)

Thanks again

Trevor